Disclaimer & Permitting

Planting Disclaimer

If you are planting a tree close to a public road or sidewalk, there is a good chance a local permit is required.  Please contact your municipality or local government to inquire about more information.

When planting trees or gardens, it is recommended (and may be required by law) to call your state’s utility hotline to mark utility Right of Ways and ensure that the planting will not cause damage to underground or overhead facilities. In most cases, the utility hotline will come to your site and mark boundaries for free.

Most utility hotlines can be reached in-state by simply calling 8-1-1 or using the numbers below:

  • In Maryland, Delaware, and Washington D.C. call Miss Utility at 1-800-257-7777
  • In New York, call Dig Safely New York at 1-800-962-7962
  • In Pennsylvania, call Pennsylvania One Call System at 1-800-242-1776
  • In Virginia, call Miss Utility of Virginia at 1-800-552-7001
  • In West Virginia, call West Virginia 811 at 1-800-245-4848

Paving Disclaimer

Before paving or re-paving any portion of your property (driveway, patio, etc.), contact your municipality or local government. Many zoning regulations have specific requirements around paved surface area and permits may be required. Any paved (pervious or impervious) surface that joins a public road or crosses a municipal Right of Way will require the assistance and permission of your local municipality.

Building Disclaimer

Before making any alterations to your home or buildings on your property, contact your municipality or local government about building codes and inspection. Green roofs, like any other major renovations, can seriously alter the structural integrity of your building and must be approved by your local government and should be constructed done by professional contractors.